Bird Watching Tour in the Top End of Australia
This 7-day Top End Birdwatching Tour is a relaxed-paced trip available as a set departure (or on request) where you can expect to see around 200 species of bird of which the vast majority are endemics and other unique Australian wildlife species.
The northern “Top End” of Australia is explored during this Top End birding adventure. The area is easily traversed from the northern city of Darwin and has a great climate. During the dry season (June to November) temperatures are generally pleasantly warm and the rich birdlife can be found congregated around waterholes and many other scenic spots. There are many range-restricted and endemic species to be found here: expect around 200 bird species on this trip.
"One of the best tours I've ever participated in during my 30-odd years of birding. Excellent guide, nice group & all my targets found!" -Andy & Marg
During our Top End Birdwatching Tour we can expect up to ten finch species including Gouldian, Masked and Star Finches and Yellow-rumped and Pictorella Mannikins; parrots such as the endemic Hooded Parrot, Northern Rosella, Red-winged Parrot, Cockatiel, Budgerigar, Red-tailed Black Cockatoo; pigeons including Chestnut-quilled and White-quilled Rock-pigeon, Partridge Pigeon; quails and Button-quails; a variety of Honeyeaters; and a raft of waterfowl and a good chance of Black Bittern and Great-billed Heron as well as the elusive Red Goshawk, the stunning Rainbow Pitta and many other specialities.
This is also a very good time of the year to see raptors. Join us for this exciting Top End birdwatching Australia tour from Darwin to Australia’s northern wilderness including world-famous Kakadu NP, one of the world’s few remaining large unspoilt wilderness areas with savannahs, wild rivers, rocky outcrops, eucalypt woodlands and tidal estuaries, which is also steeped in indigenous culture.
Other areas to be visited include the rugged Nitmiluk National Park with its huge sandstone cliffs, the scenic oasis-like Pine Creek, the savannah-like environs of Katherine (with enormous magnetic termite mounds) and the remote Jubara/Gregory National Park (Timber Creek Region). In addition to the birds, we’ll look for Saltwater Crocodile, the endemic Short-eared Rock-wallaby and other kangaroo and wallaby species (macropods).
Top End Birdwatching Tour Highlights include:
- Ten finch species (including the colourful Gouldian Finch), the stunning Rainbow Pitta, and ten parrot species await in the Top End birdwatching tour
- Masses of waterbirds in the wetlands of Kakadu NP creating a cacophony of sounds that echo against the walls of the sandstone cliffs in a perfect background framing this picture
- Saltwater Crocodiles sleepily dozing on the banks of the rivers while we photograph Little Kingfishers and Great-billed Herons
- Exploring Kakadu NP, one of Australia's most famous wilderness areas the size of Wales with only 2 main roads
- A comfortable wait at the edge of a tidal mangrove where we might be lucky to view the elusive Chestnut Rail, Yellow White-eye, Mangrove Whistler, Azure Kingfisher and Beach Thick-knee.
Please note: this set-departure tour is also available as a private or custom tour on request. Please submit an enquiry with your preferred dates and group size.
If you'd like to try an alternative tour, perhaps a longer in the south of the country? Have a look at the Great Southern Bird Watching Australia Tour.
Alternative Tour Name: Top End Adventure