Birding in Southern Pantanal and Emas National Park, Brazil
This 10-Day Southern Pantanal & Emas National Park Tour, Brazil takes nature lovers, to two of Brazil’s most famous habitats and will produce an amazing number of birds and animals. During the tour, expect to see over 300 bird species and other Brazilian wildlife.
We will fly into Campo Grande in the Southern Pantanal and the first part of our tour will be based in Emas National Park. Emas, though not as well known internationally as some other areas, contains a unique and declining Brazilian habitat, open green grasslands – campo limpo.
Like many other unique habitats, Emas has its own special variety of birds and mammals. This is one of the best places in Brazil to see the Maned Wolf, and we should also see the Giant Anteater amongst others. Rheas and screamers are found in this habitat as well as many raptors and parrot species, as the Blue-and-yellow Macaw.
In this Southern Pantanal Tour, From Emas, we will have a long drive south to Aguape Lodge in the Southern Pantanal, our base for the next few days of this tour. Aguape, as well as being a superbly placed lodge for naturalists, is also a working ranch, where the traditional Pantanal cattle farming methods can be observed from the breakfast terrace – which is often shared with Hyacinth Macaws, Nanday Parakeets and Toco Toucans, making the best possible start to the day.
One of the beauties of this Southern Pantanal tour is that there is no pre-determined itinerary. We will check the local conditions and decide on a programme the night before based on local knowledge. One of the mammals we will certainly be hoping to see is the endangered giant river otter which frequents the area. One of the pleasures of birding the Pantanal is that, as well as rare and skulking species, it has an array of confiding, colourful species which can be observed at close quarters giving spectacular views and photo opportunities.
Southern Pantanal & Emas National Park Tour Highlights include:
- Cock-tailed Tyrant - This rarity can be easily found at the Emas National Park since the Cerrado biome is the preferred environment of this species. Impress everyone with its incredible tail when it flies.
- Cone-billed Tanager - It is a critically endangered bird that has remained sixty years unnoticed in the wild. In 2003 it was rediscovered at Emas National Park. There is a good chance to see and hear his beautiful song during our tour.
- Helmeted Manakin - This is a large and impressive manakin species that can be seen during the tour at Emas National Park or during the boat rides at the Pantanal.
- Hyacinth Macaw - The largest representative of its family, the Hyacinth Macaw is one of the symbols birds of the Pantanal. They nest and feed near the lodge where we will be staying.
- Red-legged Seriema - It is easy to find couples hunting in open areas and around the lodges during the trip. It uses her claws to catch and kill snakes, his favourite prey.
If you’d like to try an alternative tour, look at what this Birdwatching Brazil Southern Atlantic Forest Tour has to offer.
Alternative Tour Name: Southern Pantanal & Emas National Park -Mato Grosso do Sul state and Goias State