South Montenegro Birding: Lakes, Fields & Adriatic Coast
This 8-day South Montenegro Birding trip is leisurely-paced and available on request. In contrast to the mountainous north of Montenegro, the southern region of the country is renowned for its wetlands and sandy beaches where more than 280 bird species have been identified.
This south Montenegro birding trip will give you a chance to explore the Lake Skadar National Park by boat, looking our for Dalmatian Pelicans, Glossy Ibis, Whiskered Terns, Ferruginous Ducks, and Squacco, Purple and Night Herons. the lake also has one of the world's largest colonies of Pygmy Cormorants.
The greatest time for birdwatching at the Ulcinj Salina is early morning when you can find Collared Pratincoles, Little and Common Terns, Kentish Plovers, Black-winged Stilts, European Rollers, Common Shelducks, and Eurasian Stone Curlews while walking through the salt pans. The area is also a nesting site for Glossy Ibis, Cattle Egrets and Spoonbills. The 13-kilometre Velika Plaa (Long Beach) has a brackish marsh belt in the background that's home to Crested Larks and Bee-eaters, while the sandy beach itself is visited by Ringed and Grey Plovers, Dunlins, European Rollers and Levant Sparrowhawks. Further along the Adriatic coast, the Tivat Salina is popular for Whimbrels, Redshanks, Black-winged Stilts and Lapwings.
Other essential destinations visited on this South of Montenegro birding adventure are the karst lands and their population of Western Rock Nuthatches, and Montenegro's largest steppe habitat, the Cemovsko field, where Calandra and Short-toed Larks, Tawny Pipits and Eurasian Stone Curlew are among the passerine species. We also explore the Cijevna Canyon, in search of Golden Eagles, Eurasian Jackdaws, Alpine Swifts, Alpine Choughs, Sombre Tits, Subalpine Warblers and Golden Orioles.
There will also time for leisurely stops at the famous olive gardens at Valdanos, the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Kotor Old Town and the baroque town of Perast.
By taking part in this trip, you support conservation activities run by CZIP, the BirdLife partner in Montenegro.
South Montenegro Birding Tour Highlights include:
- Enjoy the unspoiled region renowned for its beautiful coast, high mountains, lovely lakes, and deep canyons.
- The opportunity to see up to 350 bird species registered so far in the country.
- Search for migratory species traveling the Adriatic Flyway.
- Visit the Skadar Lake National Park, the largest lake in Southeastern Europe, a Ramsar site, IBA, and home to 280 bird species.
- Visit Nature Parks Ulcinj Salina and Cijevna Canyon. Ulcinj Salina is one of the most important resting points on the Adriatic Flyway migratory route and also one of the most important nesting grounds in Montenegro, and in Europe as well, with more than 250 species recorded so far.
- Visit Tivat Salina Nature Reserve, an important resting point for the migration of birds.
- Explore amazing Boka Bay, one of the most beautiful bays in the world, with cultural gems such as Old Town Kotor, charming town Perast, and many other secrets waiting to be discovered.
- Expert guides will reveal the wide biodiversity of the region and introduce you to the vibrant history and culture of Montenegro.
- By the end of the tour, you will already be planning your next trip to Montenegro.
If you’d like to try an alternative tour, look at what this Montenegro Wildlife Trekking Tour has to offer.
Alternative Tour Name: South of Montenegro Birding: Lakes, Fields & Adriatic Coast