Northern South Africa Wildlife Tour: Limpopo Valley & Kruger
As a global birding destination, South Africa scores very highly indeed. While it may not have as many bird species as some other more tropical African countries, it is extremely rich in endemics and near-endemics; it is an easy travel destination with a good road network and well-developed tourism infrastructure; it offers unrivaled habitat diversity, and combines birds with big game and other wildlife to appeal to anyone with an interest in natural history. Experience it for yourself on this epic Northern South Africa Birding experience!
This South Africa Wildlife Tours aims to show off the best of South African birds and wildlife in a concise itinerary that will introduce participants to a wonderful array of bird species, mammal species, habitats, and landscapes. The tour starts in Johannesburg and visits the Polokwane region; Mapungubwe National Park along the Limpopo River, the Louis Trichardt / Lake Albasini area; the northern and central Kruger National Park; and the forests of the Magoebaskloof region before ending off back in Johannesburg. From the ancient Baobabs and Sandstone formations of Mapungubwe to the forested and often mist-shrouded slopes of the Soutpansberg and the vastness of the Kruger National Park, this tour will leave participants hankering for more of Southern Africa’s wonders.
Top 5 Highlights.
- Exploring the sandstone formation wonderland of Mapungubwe National Park.
- A full day trip with a local guide to look for the special birds of the Soutpansberg / Levuvhu area.
- Open-vehicle birding drives in the magic world of Pafuri, the northern tip of the Kruger National Park.
- Birding and wildlife watching from your tent deck at Pafuri Camp.
- Birding and wildlife drives in the Kruger National Park.
Tour in brief
- Group size: Max of 8 pax; 4 pax per vehicle / guide.
- Areas visited: Polokwane, Mapungubwe National Park, Louis Trichardt / Lake Albasini region, Kruger National Park, Magoebaskloof.
- Expected weather conditions: warm to hot in general, especially in the Kruger. Possible afternoon thunderstorms or extended periods of rainfall.
- Tour tempo: medium-plus to fast, optional mid-day breaks on non-travelling days (advisable in the hotter areas). A great trip for both casual and serious birders.
- Accommodation standards: medium to high: lodges, guest houses and National Park's rest-camps.
- Birding in brief: an excellent variety of birds to be seen; Pafuri rated as the top birding region of the Kruger National Park. Good chances for large birds of prey.
- Top birds: African Broadbill, Black-fronted Bush-Shrike, Blue-spotted Wood-Dove, Short-clawed Lark, Arnot’s Chat, Three-banded Courser, Martial Eagle, Verreaux's’ Eagle, Southern Ground Hornbill, Cape and Brown-necked Parrots.
- Mammal viewing: very good game viewing throughout, especially the Kruger National Park; Big Five as well as Cheetah, Wild Dog and typical savanna general game, and good chances for uncommon smaller species.
- Add-ons: this tour can be combined with extensions to Victoria Falls or Cape Town
Alternative Tour Name: Northern South Africa Highlights: Limpopo Valley & Kruger