Hiking Tour in Montenegro Mountains and Canyons
This 8-day Montenegro Wildlife Trekking Tour is set at a challenging pace and is available on request. The northern region of Montenegro is known as the land of mountains and this adventure visits some of the highest peaks, deepest canyons and numerous lakes and rivers, all with a remarkable diversity of wildlife. We will also enjoy traditional dishes and drinks in mountain villages and learn about the history and rich culture of the area.
We start this Montenegro Wildlife Trekking Tour in the Prokletije mountains on the border between Montenegro and Albania, progressing up to the ridge that offers spectacular views of the peaks of Volušnica, Popadija, and Talijanka. Elsewhere in Prokletije National Park lies Lake Hrid, hidden under the steep cliffs of Hridski Krš and surrounded by tall pine trees and fascinating rock formations.
Another destination on this Montenegreo Wildlife Trekking tour is Mount Bjelasica and the Biogradska Gora National Park, the oldest protected area in Montenegro, to enjoy the mirror-like surface of Lake Biograd and surrounding virgin forest.
In the canyon of the River Tara, we will take a rafting adventure down the rapids to Crno Jezero (Black Lake), the largest glacial lake in the Durmitor National Park, eventually ending the day on Lovćen mountain, looking down at one of the most beautiful bays in the world. We also pass the Crna Poda reservation, a forest complex of 400-year-old black pine trees that stand up to 45 metres tall, at the entrance to Europe's deepest canyon.
Further south, our Montenegreo Wildlife Trekking tour visits the Lovćen National Park and the highest point of the day, Jezerski peak, crowned with the mausoleum of Prince-Bishop Petar II Petrović Njegoš at 1,657m. After a short break on the summit, we descend one of the most spectacular roads in Europe, which offers stunning views over the Bay of Kotor.
Montenegro Wildlife Trekking Tour Highlights include:
- Enjoy the country renowned for its high mountains, crystal-clear lakes, and some of the deepest canyons in Europe
- Admire the high peaks and crystal-clear lakes of National Park Durmitor, wander through National Park Biogradska Gora, one of Europe’s last remaining virgin forests and walk on the ridges of Prokletije mountains.
- Experience exciting rapids of river Tara on rafting through Europe’s deepest canyon.
- Learn about the traditional way of life in mountain villages and enjoy some traditional dishes and drinks.
- Hike down from viewpoints of the Lovćen National Park to Boka Kotorska, one of the most beautiful bays in the world.
- Expert guides will reveal the wide biodiversity of the region and introduce you to the vibrant history and culture of Montenegro.
- By the end of the tour, you will wish to stay forever and never leave this amazing country
For this tour, you will need comfortable hiking boots, a windproof/rainproof jacket, a water bottle, sunglasses and hat, sunscreen, a spare shirt and socks, hiking sticks, some snacks for the way, a swimsuit and a towel.
By taking part in this trip, you support conservation activities run by CZIP, the Birdlife partner in Montenegro.
If you’d like to try an alternative tour, look at what this Ulcinj Salina Birding Trip, Montenegro has to offer.
Alternative Tour Name: Mountain Peaks, Canyons & Amazing Views – Hiking in Montenegro