Kenya Masai Mara Migration Safari
This eight-day Masai Mara Migration Safari is a moderately-paced set-departure safari in Kenya. If you are a wildlife enthusiast, this migration safari has to be top of your list. There's no doubt that East Africa's Wildebeest migration is one of the most incredible events in nature anywhere in the world.
More than 2 million head of game, made up mostly by White-bearded Wildebeest (Connochaetes taurinus albojubatus), complete a roughly circular journey through the Serengeti / Masai Mara ecosystem of Tanzania and Kenya, following a primal urge to seek out fresh grazing grounds. It's a clockwise route and by October they are on their way south through the Mara as they set their sights on the short-grass plains of Ndutu and the Serengeti.
Their journey is by no means rigidly structured though, as they follow signs of rain anywhere in the area, so it's hard to predict events such as the famously chaotic crossings of the Mara River. And even if one misses these, just witnessing the ordeal of the massive herds trekking through the vast open plains of the Masai Mara, followed by predators such as Lion and Spotted Hyena, will be a safari (and even a lifetime) highlight that's honestly hard to beat.
This Masai Mara Migration Safari itinerary kicks off with a night in Nairobi to settle in, followed by an early flight the next day into the Mara, and you can be game viewing by lunchtime! This costs a bit more but avoids the gruelling 5 - 6-hour road transfer from Nairobi, so you arrive fresh and ready for your first excursion.
We then have 6 nights in the Masai Mara, divided between two camps in different areas: Mara Serena in the Mara Triangle Conservancy, and Entim Camp in the Masai Mara National Reserve. The camps are located on different sides of the Mara River and together will give us prime locations within the greater Masai Mara conservation area. Full, exciting days out on safari, evenings discussing the highlights around a fire before a wonderful evening meal, followed yet again by an exciting day out in the field - this is an epic African wildlife experience in every way.
Please note: this tour is listed in ZAR (on the Blue Sky Wildlife website only), but will be charged in US Dollars: USD 3,990 $ per person sharing for a full group of 6 participants; USD$ 4,125 for 5 participants; USD $ 4 370 for 4 participants; USD $ 4,770 for 3 participants; USD $ 5,580 for 2 participants; USD $550 single supplement option.
Masai Mara Migration Safari highlights include:
- A fly-in / fly-out itinerary means that you avoid the long road journeys to and from Nairobi - arrive at your first camp relaxed and ready to start the game viewing!
- Experience two different parts of the Masai Mara - the Mara Triangle Conservancy and the Masai Mara National Reserve.
- Have unlimited game drives at both camps, maximizing the time spent out looking at all forms of wildlife.
- Enjoy stunning views over the Mara from your room at Mara Serena Safari Lodge.
- Spend glorious nights under canvas in your luxury tent at Entim Camp.
- See the migration, one of the world's most spectacular wildlife events (note though that the timing and route of the migration are impossible to predict with 100% accuracy, and each year is slightly different)
Please note: this set-departure tour is also available as a private or custom tour on request. Please submit an enquiry with your preferred dates and group size.
If you have a little more time to spend on your holiday, maybe you'd consider the Bird Watching in Kenya and Wildlife Tour? Take a look and see if this tour is something you'd be interested in.
Alternative Tour Name: Masai Mara Migration Safari