Incredible Birding & Wildlife Kruger Park Safari
This Kruger Park Safari is a new offering from Lawson’s! The Kruger National Park is a place like no other. Not only is it among the biggest of African parks at around 20 000 square kilometers, but it’s also ranked as one of the most diverse, with over 500 species of birds, 137 mammal species, 119 reptile species, 33 amphibians and nearly 50 fish species. Add to that good accommodation, roads and ease of travel and you have an outstanding birding and wildlife destination, as anyone who’s done a Kruger Park Tour will attest to!
This new offering from Lawson’s aims to give participants a riveting but relaxing Kruger Park safari experience, with most of the time devoted to two of the prime game viewing areas around Satara and Lower Sabie. To get there and see a bit more of the park we start off at Phalaborwa, gateway town to the central Kruger, with the first two nights at Letaba Rest Camp, overlooking the lazy Letaba River. From there we head south to Satara for four nights. We’ll spend time exploring the surrounding area, with just the right mix of exciting birding, game viewing and photography tempered by time spent relaxing in camp. After Satara we have another four nights at Lower Sabie, situated on the Sabie River in the south-eastern corner and offering some of the most consistent game viewing in the whole park, before we end off the safari at Skukuza Airport.
This 10-night / 11 day Kruger Park safari itinerary is designed as a slower-paced experience, with a focus on wildlife viewing and bird / animal photography. With more time spent at camps there’s less packing and moving, giving participants time to enjoy the camps themselves and what the different areas have to offer. Furthermore, on full days spent in camp the safari excursions are optional – participants are welcome to skip drives as they prefer (but that always comes with the risk of missing out!). All in all this will add up to a Kruger National Park safari experience that’s exciting but at the same time relaxing! Participants can also opt for extensions, perhaps spending more time in the park, adding on a private lodge experience or visiting another part of the country for some more birding and wildlife viewing.
Top 5 Highlights:
- Go on open-sided safaris in the Kruger National Park.
- Explore three different parts of the Kruger, searching for Lion, Leopard, Cheetah, Wild Dog and many other species.
- Spend 4 nights each at Satara and Lower Sabie, allowing ample time to explore the surrounding areas.
- Spend time watching animals, observing their behaviour and taking photographs.
- Enjoy down time in the camps, catching up on rest, downloading photographs or photographing birds in the camp grounds.
Tour in Brief:
- Group size: maximum of 4 participants.
- Areas Visited: Kruger National Park.
- Expected weather conditions: Generally mild to warm and dry, but early morning drives in open vehicles can be cold, so adequate clothing such as a thick fleece and windbreaker are recommended.
- Tour tempo: slow to medium, with down time in camp and drives being optional (on days we don’t move from camp to camp).
- Accommodation standards: medium: national park chalets.
- Mammal viewing: Excellent, including chances for the Big Five (Lion, Elephant, Buffalo, Rhino and Leopard) as well as Wild Dog and Cheetah; chances for smaller carnivores such as Honey Badger, African Wild Cat, various Mongoose species etc, plus a range of antelope, Giraffe, Hippo, Zebra etc.
- Birding: great birding opportunities, highlights include a range or Raptors, Bustards, Rollers, Bee-eaters, Shrikes, Starlings, Owls, Sunbirds ect.
- Other wildlife and attractions: classic Kruger Park scenery and general natural history.
- Add-ons: this tour can be combined with additional time in the Kruger, a private lodge add on or a visit to other parts of the country (one can include the Eastern Escarpment in a road journey to Phalaborwa or back to Johannesburg instead of flying out of Skukuza.
Alternative Tour Name: Incredible Kruger an 11-day Birding & Wildlife Safari