Custom Spring Birdwatching Tour in Extremadura
A private customised eight-day Birding Extremadura tour led by Martin Kelsey from March to May. Fewer or more days can be requested.
Extremadura birding in spring offers one of the most exciting and memorable birdwatching experiences in Europe. There is plenty of space for nature, thanks to its low human population density and largely traditional farming. The surprising diversity of landscapes means that different habitats can be explored each day. This adds to the richness of the experience.
Early spring is the best time of all to enjoy watching the birds of the open plains. These include displaying Great Bustards and sandgrouse. It is also excellent for orchids and early butterflies. The first wave of migrants arrives and there may still be a few wintering birds present.
By April, the flower meadows are at their most spectacular. Spring migrants like Bee-eaters and Rollers are flooding in. Most resident species like Spanish Imperial Eagles are well advanced with their nesting. Extremadura is without doubt one of the best places in the world to see breeding birds of prey. By May, even the latest migrants like White-rumped Swift have arrived. Wetland sites are then especially good for breeding herons and Collared Pratincoles. Western Bonelli’s Warblers and Honey Buzzard can be seen in higher altitude woodland. Butterflies and dragonflies provide a strong supporting role. Birdwatching in Extremadura caters for all interests and levels of experience.
We have recorded a total of 240 bird species on Birding Extremadura spring tours. Depending on the precise timing and your interests, at least 140 species should be expected. Tell us which species you are particularly interested in seeing, we can advise you on the best time to visit. The itinerary will be tailor-made to focus on your interests.
Birding Extremadura will provide a full picnic lunch based on local products located at a spot with an amazing view and a constant welcome distraction of passing birds of prey.
Five top highlights
- Standing on the vast plains, taking in the landscape of Extremadura, a sheer sense of space and full of the sound of Calandra Larks and the flight calls of sandgrouse.
- Busy European Bee-eaters sitting on wires and then catching insects on the wing, whilst Eurasian Rollers drop to the ground for larger morsels.
- Collared Pratincoles and Gull-billed Terns hawking over wet rice fields, where waders are feeding on their way to the Arctic.
- Watching Black Storks and Egyptian Vultures at their nests, with always something in the sky above, a good chance of five eagle species in one day.
- A morning walking in Mediterranean scrub, there are few other places where so many Sylvia warblers can be seen in the same place, especially Spectacled, Western Orphean, Subalpine, Sardinian and Dartford.
Would you like to have your next birding experience at a different time of year? Why not explore what the Extremadura Winter Birding Tour, Spain has to offer.
(Now almost fully booked for 2021 and taking bookings for 2022!)
Birding Extremadura is registered by the Government of Extremadura OA-CC-00052 and is a proud member of the Birding in Extremadura Product Club.
Sharing our passion for nature in Extremadura since 2005