Birding Boat Trip on the Ebro Delta River
One of our most popular bird watching tours is the birding boat trip option, where we will head towards inaccessible spots on the Ebro river and explore exclusive birding sites which cannot be accessed by foot. This tour is conducted on our privately owned 18ft Carolina Skiff, a stable and comfortable flat bottomed boat with a bimini top which provides shade during the warmer parts of the day. By using a silent electric motor we are able to approach birds in a careful, non-obtrusive manner which allows us magnificent close up views, and is perfect for bird photographers & observers alike.
The birding boat trip lasts for around 6 hours and we commence mid-afternoon, launching the boat at Amposta and making our way down stream. We will be able to observe hordes of river-dwelling birds including target species such as Little Bittern, Purple Heron, Squacco Heron, Black-crowned Night Heron, Osprey, Marsh Harrier, Black Kite, Kingfisher, Bee-eater, Golden Oriole, Whiskered Tern, Audouin' Gull, Penduline Tit & Great Reed Warbler.
Midway through the tour we will stop off at a riverside cafe where we can relax and enjoy a refreshment break while enjoying a splendid view out across the water.
The tour culminates in spectacular fashion with the daily roost of hundreds of egrets and herons, returning to their safe roosting perches on Isla de Sapinya, and is usually accompanied by a spectacular Ebro sunset as we head back in to the slipway.
Ebro River Birding Boat Trip - 5 highlights:
- The majestic Purple Heron fishing in the margins of the Ebro during the summer months
- Beautiful Kingfishers are extremely abundant along the river bank, expect multiple sightings
- Ospreys can be observed fishing on the Ebro during migration periods.
- The impressive evening roost of hundreds of herons and egrets who arrive around sunset at Isla de Sapinya
- Where better to view an Ebro delta sunset than out on the water! Autumn usually provides the most spectacular colours.