Asturias' Butterflies Day Trip in Picos de Europe or Somiedo National Parks
This 1-day Butterflies of Asturias trip is available on request. It is a leisurely paced trip that will focus on several species of these insects in either Picos de Europa National Park or Somiedo Natural Park. The day will be spent walking amongst alpine habitats and scoping butterflies and flowers. Guides will lead you to places on this entertaining butterflies trip to Asturias where some of the most desirable species can be found.
Asturias is home of more than 170 different species of butterflies, including some rare types that can be difficult to find elsewhere. Every spring the different butterflies of Asturias emerge to feed and mate. These beautiful, colourful and fragile Lepidoptera are spread all over the Asturian territory, from the seashores to the highest summits of the Cantabric Mountains.
Mountain ranges above 1,700m, carpeted by flowering grasslands and shrubby fields with a rocky outcrop here and there are perfect environments for spotting and photographing butterflies, as well as other wildlife with which they coexist. Picos de Europa National Park is a rugged landscape featuring the steep slopes that make these mountains suitable for several different species of Lepidoptera.
Somiedo Natural Park is also a hidden gem to explore together, less well known than the Picos but still a great place to go in search of the best butterfly grounds, and somewhere that may be less frequented by people.
Butterflies of Asturias Trip highlights include:
- Witnessing how nature conservation and land management encourage biodiversity in Asturias
- Over 140 species of butterflies such as Spialia sertorius (Hesperidae), Papilio machaon, Iphiclides podalirius, Parnassius apollo (Papilonidae), Eucloe ausoni, Antocharis belia Pieridae), Polygonia c-album, Erebia pronoe (Nymphalidae) and Polyommatos coridon (Licenidae)
- Walking in a small group in the protected areas led by qualified and fully licensed local guides
- Awe-inspiring landscapes of flowering grasslands and alpine mountain ranges
- Asturias is well known among Spaniards for being a local and traditional gastronomy temple. Local Asturian delicacies - natural cider and wines and over 40 different types of cheese
Like the look of this birding trip and interested to see what else you could get up to? Check out the Alpine Birds of Asturias Full Day Trip.
Alternative name: Butterflies Of Asturias Trip