Asturias Butterfly Full Day Trip
This 1-day Butterflies of Asturias trip will focus on several species of these insects within Picos de Europa National Park or either Somiedo Natural Park boundaries. Everything is about walking across alpine habitats and scope butterflies and flowers. Guides will lead you to extraordinary butterflies trip of Asturias where some of the most wanted occur.
Mountain ranges above 1700 m use to be carpeted by grasslands and shrub fields with an outcrop here and an outcrop there. Such protected areas are local icons of nature and perfect environments for spotting and photographing butterflies, and rest of the organisms they coexist with. Picos de europa National Park is a rugged land featured by big slope gradients that make these mountains suitable to be colonized by several different species of Lepidoptera. Somiedo Natural Park is a hidden gem we invite you to explore together to, in search of best grounds after walking nice paths in small groups.
Asturias is home of more than 170 different species of butterflies therefore the butterflies of Asturias trip is pretty close to a successful experience in nature with the opportunity of spotting scarce species. Every spring and after a complicated biological process the different butterflies of Asturias species start to deploy their wings and proboscis in an amazing performance for survival. These beautiful, colourful and fragile Lepidoptera are spread all over the Asturian territory, all the way from the seashores to the highest summits of the Cantabric Mountains. Flying or gliding they are joyful to see while reminding us about their role as key elements and factors in the environmental complexity of Asturias’ ecological niches.
Tour highlights include:
- Nature conservation and land management encourage biodiversity in Asturias therefore many different species coexist (insects, amphibians, birds, mammals). Asturias is a destination for naturalists.
- Asturias is home of over 140 species of butterflies as: Spialia sertorius (Hesperidae), Papilio machaon, Iphiclides podalirius, Parnassius apollo (Papilonidae), Eucloe ausoni, Antocharis belia Pieridae), Polygonia c-album, Erebia pronoe (Nymphalidae), Polyommatos coridon (Licenidae).
- Protected areas we walk trough are renown natural parks in Asturias but Man&Biosphere by UNESCO too.
- Fully Licensed Official Guides lead small groups when walking through awesome landscapes with grasslands and mountain ranges.
- Asturias is well known among Spaniards for being a local and traditional gastronomy temple. Local delicacies, sweet or savory, warm or cold are some of our best ambassadors: natural cider and "heroic" wine, over 40 types of cheese, white beans, beef meat, etc.
Alternative name: Butterflies Of Asturias Trip