Lithuania Birding Tour for Twitchers
This 8-days Birds of Lithuania Tour is the world cup final for your Lithuanian checklist of wildlife and 200 species of birds! Top Lithuania’s paradise for birdwatchers’ destinations – Nemunas delta regional park, Curonian Spit National Park and North-East Lithuania – this tour will offer opportunities to see/hear some of Europe’s most rare birds’ species.
We will meet in West Lithuania at the Nemunas Delta Wilderness to experience birds of lithuania – the birders paradise – 170 species of breeding rarities here, including such as: Aquatic and Blyth’s Reed Warbler, Great Snipe, Greater and Lesser Spotted Eagle, Citrine Wagtail and many others. Enjoying the delta and the Curonian Lagoon by small ship, transfer to Klaipėda.
Entering the Lithuanian amber coast – Curonian Spit National Park. Vast sand dunes’ landscape separating the Baltic sea from the Curonian Lagoon is breath-taking combining the variety of seabirds and specialities of the Spit, such as Red breasted Flycatcher and Greenish Warbler of the ancient forests of Juodkrantė and Tawny Pipits and Woodlarks in the dunes.
Exploring Lithuania’s National and Regional Parks will strike you with the diversity of the Lithuanian landscapes. Natural meadows, large and small lakes, swamps hidden in both coniferous and broadleaf forests, and the spirit of each region of Lithuania. Capture Lithuania’s natural beauty and wilderness.
Top 5 Tour Highlights:
- Rarest and most wanted bird species breeding in Eastern Europe, get this in one tour, starting with the charismatic Aquatic warbler and building up your checklist up to 200+ species, is going to be our main target if you join our special tour. We will visit as many habitats and protected area as possible and we will have not much time for rest, but of course, we always make sure all are comfortable with the pace.
- If the weather allows we listen for Eagle Owl, Tawny and even Short-eared Owls and Great Snipe, Little Bitterns, Spotted, Little and Corn Crakes. We will go to the best spots for Ural, Pygmy and Nightjars at some point in the evenings. Thrush Nightingales, Blyth’s Reed, Grasshopper and Savi’s Warblers, Greenish Warbler and even maybe Booted Warbler is our “menu” in finely selected areas.
- An early start after breakfast also allows us to spot some local large mammals as European Elk, Red, Fallow and Roe Deer and many Red Foxes, Badgers, Beavers and if lucky Otter, or Pine Marten. In the East tracks of Lynx, Wolf and European Bisons are also just everywhere.
- This tour is not only a common birding trip but to make it special, we added a spicy list, which will boil any serious birder blood. From the Baltic see to the “Lake District” in the East of the country, we will allow you to enjoy the Baltics Nature in its full glory. During day time when birds are less active, we will relax or use the time to travel to new exciting areas in search of not yet seen wilderness.
- Crossing different cultural areas you will also get to know the local traditions and try some of the exotic Lithuanian cuisines and to enjoy the beauty and uniqueness of every region we will visit.
Alternative Tour Name: Twitching Lithuania Tour
A Day full day birding at Nemunas delta
A Full Day of birdwatching in Nemunas delta
Morning birding at Nemunas delta, lunch and boat trip at Curonian Lagoon arrival at Curonian Spit birding and dinner.
Curonian Spit birdwatching and sightseeing at Curonian Spit National Park.
Curonian spit morning session and breakfast, later transfer to next destination with birding and lunch along the way – Central Lithuania, arrival at Biržai and evening session before dinner.
Biržai forest in the morning before breakfast and departure to Birzai forest, until lunch and departure to Gražutės Regional Park and surroundings.
All day at Birvėta fish ponds and surroundings, lunch in the nature and departure in late evening towards the departure airport area.
Wildlife species expected to see :
Aquatic, Blyth’s Reed, Booted, Greenish, Savi’s, River, Grasshopper and Great Reed Warbler, Bluethroat, Thrush Nightingale, Spotted, Little and Corn Crakes, Ural, Pygmy and Tengmalm’s Owls, Black-throated Diver, Black Stork, Whooper Swan, White-tailed Eagle, Osprey, Lesser and Greater Spotted Eagles, Montagu’s Harrier, Honey Buzzard, Goshawk, Black and Hazel Grouse, Golden Plover, Marsh Sandpiper, Great Snipe, Caspian Gull, Little Gull, Whiskered and White-winged Black Terns, European Nightjar, Grey-headed and White-backed Woodpeckers, Tawny Pipit, Citrine Wagtail, Red-breasted Flycatcher, Nutcracker, Common Rosefinch, Ortolan Bunting. Tracks of Lynx, wolf and Bisons, possible to see European Elk, Red and Roe Deer, Red Fox, Beaver and etc.
What is included?
- All accommodation or lodgings based on double occupancy
- Single occupancy available for an additional charge/cost
- Professional multi-lingual guides and support staff
- Local transfers and all ground transport throughout the tour
- All meals
- Snacks throughout the tour
- Water throughout the tour
- All activities as specified within the tour itinerary
- Personalised checklists by eBird
- All Applicable Taxes
What is not included?
- All international or domestic airfares
- Visa Fees (if applicable)
- Travel & medical insurance (incl. personal equipment and repatriation)
- Airport departure taxes
- Items of personal nature (incl. binoculars and telescopes)
- If providing binoculars and telescopes for the participants an extra fee will be added prior to the tour.
- Excess baggage charges
- Laundry & telephone Charges
- Optional tour extensions where applicable
- Tips & gratuities
- Any other drinks not mentioned above, e.g - Alcoholic beverages or bottled drinks
- Alcoholic beverages or bottled drinks
- Entrance fees to all National Parks, Nature Reserves and/or use of Hides where applicable
- Anything else not mentioned in “What is included”
Private Eco lodge during all your stay, no other guests or stuff will disturb you, we use rental van for all the group, or separate cars on additional fee depending on the vehicle type and needed number.
Mostly ground with minibus 8+1, but we plan at least one of the days a boat trip.
6-7 optimal, as we can then use 8+1 Van for all the group.
Sure if requested prior the trip, we can pick you and drop you off at one of the 3 main airports in the country Vilnius (330km), Kaunas (230km) or Palanga (75km)
We are very flexible and as the delta is very dynamic, we might change the itinerary depending on dramatic weather change or bird movement to improve your experience and for all our safety, we will agree about that every time if need to change the route or schedule.
Sure, on extra fee you can have single room. Also we can add extra bed if needed, but we need to know in prior to the start of the tour.
All meals included, also we are very flexible if you have special needs according to your food diet.
May-Juneis the best time with pick of return of main target species and you have the chance to experience the best of Nemunas Delta;
Yes, and No, our tours are very calm and we can visit most of the birding hotspot by the minibus, only if all the group requests we can make short hikes, if everyone is happy with that.
If we know in prior to the tour, we can arrange everything, so everyone can feel comfortable and can reach all our target places and see all the birds and mammals we spot during the tour.
Not strict, but if there are children in the group it has to be a responsible parenting and agreement from rest of the group prior to the tour.
We will have WiFi in the minibus all the time and in the Lodge, but as it is border area you have to put your network selection to manual mode, because it’s very expensive to use Russian internet connection.
We will join many local communities organised workshops and degustation’s and will hire local boat owner for our boat trip, also food is home cooked by local ladies, basically all we offer in the itinerary is local friendly organized.
Yes, you can book extra days prior to the start, if you let us know during tour booking, we will be happy to help.
We are small company and we taking care of your safety, but travel insurance is responsibility for every guest prior to leaving your home country, so make sure you have all needed insurances sort out prior you start traveling for your own safety and enjoyable stay with us.
Are you interested in birds, nature history and heritage? If answer is yes, you are looking at the right place. Don’t forget to put your smile on your face and enjoy the small miracles of the nature.
Yes, but only if children are at least getting in to birding and come with at least one of the parents.
Cancellation You can cancel within 24 hours of booking or up to 30 days before the tour start date to get a full refund. Weather We make every effort to continue, as scheduled with our tours. But sometimes, weather conditions create an unsafe scenario, as a result, a change or cancellation may be the result. Should this happen, we will provide full refund. Tour confirmation Our guides will contact our guests via email 2-3 days prior to the start of your trip. This is the perfect opportunity to let the guide know of any questions or concerns you may have.
If it’s not against our booking policy above, we are happy to refund you at all cost you paid already, or if we all agree we postpone the trip for later dates.
If you have travel insurance you will be easy sorted, if we are still alive and the reason of closing down is not possible to avoid we will make our best to refund you.
Sunscreen, glasses, hat, swimming suite, bottle of water, rain waterproof jacket and a full change of clothes, binoculars, spotting scope and/or camera gear, eBird device and profile so I can easily share our checklists.
Only if you have any really special requirements, but we make sure you get all was included in the price prior the tour. If you need extra snacks or soft drinks during the day just let us know before breakfast. Alcohol is not tolerated during the day, and if you are younger than 21 years by law.
Sure, if you let us know during booking procedure.
Even smallest countryside shops are now accepting credit cards, but it’s always good idea to use ATM on the airport for worst case scenario, so you will have plan B.
Alcedo Wildlife Tours is small company specialist in the area (Lithuania), supporting and cooperating with local community, taking care about the birds (not only in winter) and have best and most up to date information of what and where we can find, especially the most interesting bird species. We are using eco-friendly vehicles and lodges. Friendly and experienced guides, in love with their jobs, are waiting for you. Also local food and accommodation suppliers is our main partners. You will leave us with plans to return, we promise you. Welcome to Nemunas Delta, your Lithuanian Wilderness experts are waiting for you...