Orchids and Birds of Extremadura Tour
A private eight-day Birds of Extremadura and Orchid Tour led by Martin Kelsey anytime from March to late April. This Extremadura birdwatching and orchid holiday is a leisurely-paced trip available on request where you can expect to see at least 15 to 20 species of orchid and over 140 species of bird.
Spring in Extremadura offers one of the most exciting and memorable wildlife experiences in Europe. Thanks to its low human population density and still largely traditional land use, there is plenty of space for nature and for the birds of Extremadura. There is a surprising diversity of landscapes. Different habitats can be explored each day.
The birding on the plains is at its most spectacular in early spring and a great time of year to see Extremadura birds. Great Bustards are in display. The visibility is excellent because of the lower vegetation and milder temperatures. Many spring migrants arrive during March and by mid-April, almost all have arrived.
The birds of Extremadura include one of the richest breeding communities of birds of prey, 23 species recorded so far! Have amazing encounters with raptors, classic specialities like bustards and sandgrouse. Add the full panoply of exciting Mediterranean species - who could ask for anything more.
There are about 60 species of orchids recorded in Extremadura. In a week, especially from late March, it should be possible to find between 15 and 20 species. The peak of the very attractive Ophrys (bee-type orchids) flowering is from mid-March to mid-April. It is excellent for early butterflies, with perhaps 15-20 species possible.
As spring progress, the interesting Serapias (tongue orchids) become more dominant. From mid to late April, woodland orchids like Sulphur Orchid and Barton's Orchid can be found, as well as helleborines.
Birding Extremadura will provide a full picnic lunch based on local products.
Birds of Extremadura Tour highlights include:
- Exploring ancient olive groves with colonies of orchids, different species in flower, and early spring hairstreak butterflies on the wing.
- Trundling male Great Bustards in full display, white pyramids of vibrating passion in the green landscape.
- Limestone hillsides with special orchids, affording views across the heart of Extremadura, with eagles and vultures overhead, blessed with the sweet song of larks.
- Picnic in Monfragüe National Park, an otter with her cubs, and the spring migrants everywhere.
- Piecing together a landscape: its geology, vegetation, the role of the human hand through history, a sense of space, full of nature.
Would you like a specialist trip to see dragonflies? If so, the Extremadura Dragonfly Holiday, Spain is the one for you.
Please Note: now almost fully booked for 2022 and taking bookings for 2023!
Birding Extremadura is registered by the Government of Extremadura OA-CC-00052 and is a proud member of the Birding in Extremadura Product Club.
Sharing our passion for nature in Extremadura since 2005
Alternative Tour Name: Extremadura’s Birds and Orchids Customised Tour