Gobi Desert is a peculiar habitat found in southern Mongolia. Vast valleys extended between the high Gobi Altai Mountains, huge sand dunes, oases, and saxaul trees are the habitats for many sought-after localized bird species including enigmatic Pallas’s Sandgrouse, near endemic Kozlov’s Accentor, Oriental Plover, Henderson’s Ground Jay, Saxaul Sparrow, Asian Desert Warbler, Godlewski’s and Grey-necked Buntings. Join us our highly professional team and benefit from their many years of experience. Drive through the extraordinary scenic landscapes and visit nomad family.
- Gobi Altai Mountains, Desert Steppes, Khongor Sand Dunes and Saxaul Trees
- Pallas’s Sandgrouse, Kozlov’s Accentor, Oriental Plover, Henderson’s Ground Jay, Saxaul Sparrow, Godlewski’s and Grey-necked Buntings
- Special mammals - Goitered and Mongolian Gazelles, Siberian Ibex and Argali Sheep
- Nomadic family visit and traditional ger camp stays
Our crew picks you up at the Chinggis Khaan International airport after your arrival in Ulaanbaatar which is the capital of Mongolia and check in a hotel. You have a bit rest at the hotel. After lunch (in case you arrive before lunch), visit Tuul river forest near Ulaanbaatar. We see Azure Tit, Long-tailed Rosefinch, Azure-winged Magpie, White-crowned Penduline Tit and Ruddy Shelduck. Have a WELCOME DINNER at one of the most famous restaurants in Ulaanbaatar and return to the hotel. Food: Welcome dinner at a restaurant. Road: Total coverage 30 km paved road (30 minutes’ drive).
Upon arrival in Dalanzadgad town, we drive straight to the high mountain and check in a tourist ger camp. During these 2 days birding in this hotspot, we see Kozlov’s and Brown Accentor, Mongolian Finch, Crag Martin, White-winged Snowfinch, Black Redstart, Saker Falcon, Lammergeier, Himalayan Vulture and Beautiful Rosefinch and Godlewski’s and Grey-necked Bunting. Down on the desert steppe, we find the pretty Oriental Plover. Overnight in a tourist ger camp. Food: Tourist Ger Camp – Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. Road: Total coverage 50 km on paved road (1 hour’ drive and 1 hour’ flight).
After breakfast, we drive to the west of the ger camp to get Khongoryn Els which is a huge sand dune located between a high mountain and vast desert steppe. We see Saxaul Sparrow, Pallas’s Sandgrouse, Henderson’s Ground Jay, Desert Wheatear, Asian Desert Warbler, Great Grey Shrike, Isabelline Shrike and Long-legged Buzzard. Overnight in a tourist ger camp. Food: Tourist Ger Camp – Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. Road: Total coverage 160 km on dust road (4-5 hours’ drive).
After breakfast, we start driving back to the Dalanzadgad town. En route we can see Upland Buzzard, Pallas’s Sandgrouse, Isabelline Shrike and Great Grey Shrike, Desert Wheatear and possibly the magnificent mammal Goitered Gazelle. Overnight in a tourist ger camp. Food: Tourist Ger Camp – Breakfast, Dinner. Packed Lunch. Road: Total coverage 200 km on dust road (5-6 hours’ drive).
Today we fly back to the Ulaanbaatar city. Shopping and city tour available in late afternoon. If time allows, we visit Tuul river valley for some missing species. Overnight in a hotel. Food: Tourist ger camp – Breakfast; Local Restaurant – Lunch, Farewell Dinner. Road: Total coverage 340 km on paved road (5-6 hours’ drive).
A transfer to Chinggis Khaan International Airport will be the end of our services in Mongolia.
Kozlov’s and Brown Accentor, Mongolian Finch, Crag Martin, White-winged Snowfinch, Black Redstart, Saker Falcon, Lammergeier, Himalayan Vulture, Beautiful Rosefinch, Godlewski’s, Grey-necked Bunting, Saxaul Sparrow, Pallas’s Sandgrouse, Henderson’s Ground Jay, Desert Wheatear, Asian Desert Warbler, Great Grey Shrike, Isabelline Shrike and Long-legged Buzzard,
What is included?
- Accommodation (2 nights’ hotel in Ulaanbaatar city; 1-night hotel in Dalanzadgad town; 4 nights’ tourist ger lodges)
- Transport (Ground transportations by 4WD vehicles, including petrol; Two-way domestic flight between Ulaanbaatar city and Dalanzadgad town)
- Meals -7 breakfast, 6 lunch; 7 dinner
- Entrance fees to all National Parks and road tolls
- English speaking bird guide
- Drinking water will be provided. It will be appreciated if you could bring your refillable bottle.
What is not included?
- Last dinner on 23 July (It will be your free choice)
- International transportation
- All types of insurance
- Departure tax
- Alcoholic drinks and items of personal nature
- Binoculars, telescopes and tripods
- Extra luggage
- Optional tours