Birding in Northern Botswana Safari
This 12-day birding safari offers some of the best of both bird and wildlife areas in Northern Botswana. Following along the same route as our incredibly popular Northern Highlights tour you have the added attraction of the Chobe riverfront, a birding mecca.
From Amur Falcon to Burchell’s Zebra, the wildlife you have the potential to see will give you an alphabet list of top species that will be the envy of your wildlife-watching friends. Northern Botswana not only encompasses the semi-arid grasslands of the Kalahari Desert but the unspoilt floodplains, marshes and lagoons that fringe the Okavango, Khwai and Chobe Rivers, all wildlife-rich areas.
Botswana contains some of Africa’s richest and most diverse wildlife areas, so for the sheer variety of habitats and species this birding safari tour of the eastern end of the famous Okavango Delta, Moremi Game Reserve and Chobe National Park is hard to beat.
For this small-group birding Botswana tour, you travel as part of a mobile tented safari, with the same skilled local crew and experienced professional wildlife guides for the duration. You stay in travelling camps with all mod-cons but situated deep in the heart of the wilderness where you can be immersed in the natural world.
Every day includes game drives, delicious meals prepared on a campfire and enjoyed in the pure fresh air, and nights filled with stars and the mysterious sounds of Africa.
This Botswana birding safari begins in the dry, low-lying region of Xakanaxa and its woodlands of mopane trees - an excellent area for birds of prey and African wild dogs. You then move on through the Moremi Game Reserve to the Khwai River where you can experience some of the area’s nocturnal creatures on an after-dark safari.
Next stop is the famous Chobe National Park and the Savuti Marsh, excellent big cat country and some of the most varied landscapes of this safari birding trip. Due to its seasonal abundance of small rodents, this is the place to see a multitude of avian predators.
The final destination of the birding Safari is the Chobe River, which in the late morning and early afternoon attracts a myriad of species to its banks to drink. And you round off your last day with a three-hour boat cruise on the river for a chance of spotting Hippos, Crocodiles and African Fish Eagles.
Top 5 Highlights
- Big and small cats – this area is a hotspot for Lions, Leopards, Cheetahs, Servals and African Wildcats, with Chobe NP having the highest density of Lions in southern Africa.
- Sipping your evening drinks surrounded by the sights, sounds and smells of the unspoilt African bush while your meal is prepared on the campfire.
- Large herds of elephants, and many mature bulls, moving between the mopane forests and the freshwater sources of the region.
- Navigating the Magwikwe SandRidge and the Mababe Depression – remnants of a vast inland sea that disappeared thousands of years ago leaving rich grasslands that attract thousands of birds.
- The Savuti Marsh where countless wildlife documentaries have been filmed as it is the hunting ground for Lions, Cheetahs, Hyenas and many birds of prey.
If you would like to add to the places you visit, have a look at Livingstone Birding Trail Tour which will not only show you Botswana but also Namibia’s Caprivi Strip and Southern Zambia
Alternative Tour Name: Northern Wings
Join Our Fixed Tour Starting Date
|Tour Dates||Tour Availability||From Price||Spaces Left|
|14/03/2021 - 25/03/2021||guaranteed||USD 4,189||
|21/11/2021 - 02/12/2021||guaranteed||USD 4,189||