South-West Endemics Australian Birding Tour
The South-west Endemics Australian birding tour aims to find all 15 endemic birds occurring in the scenic south-west corner of Western Australia in 7 days. These include many species of parrots and cockatoos as well as the notorious “skulkers”: Noisy Scrub-bird, Western Bristlebird and Western Whipbird.
This 7 day (7 night) fully accommodated tour begins and ends in Perth, WA (now with direct flights from London) and takes us from freshwater swamps and wetlands near Perth, to the nearby Darling Ranges, through the famous Dryandra Woodlands and across the beautiful Stirling Ranges until we eventually reach the sandy heathlands of the south coast, home to the three “skulkers”. Further west we travel through extensive karri (eucalypt) forests and visit the Cape Leeuwin area before we return to Perth via Penguin Island with its Fairy Penguins and Bridled Tern colony.
The South-west Endemics Australian birding tour is a small-group trip exploring a very pleasant area to be birding in with generally mild weather, good infrastructure, nice accommodation and beautiful scenery, yet a sense of adventure remains as we explore off-the-beaten track locations.
In the karri eucalypt forests, we’ll look for Western Rosella, White-breasted Robin, Red-capped Parrot, Western Whistler and Western Corella; while exploring the dry woodlands we should add Malleefowl, Shy Heathwren and Purple-gaped Honeyeater. Long-billed (Baudin’s) and Short-billed (Carnaby’s) Black Cockatoo, Rufous Treecreeper, Western Yellow Robin, Gilbert’s Honeyeater, Red-winged and Blue-breasted Fairy-wren await us on this trip. Coastal birding is not forgotten with foraging seabirds visible from a headland, including the chance of the odd Albatross, a visit to a Bridled Tern colony and Rock Parrot, Red-eared Firetail and Western Fieldwren; we expect to see up to 150 species including all 15 endemics.
Top 5 highlights:
- Watch the magnificent Short-billed Black Cockatoo munch on Banksia cones in the vast heathlands of the south coast
- Walk among the world's tallest trees in search of White-breasted Robin, Red-capped Parrot and Western Whistler
- Observe the elusive Malleefowl working its nest-mound in an endless area of man-high eucalypt scrub
- Visit Fairy Penguins and Bridled Tern colonies on an islet off of Perth
- Explore a very pleasant area with generally mild weather, good infrastructure, nice accommodation and beautiful scenery, yet a sense of adventure remains as we explore off-the-beaten-track locations
Like the look of this but want to try a different a location. The Top End Birdwatching Tour, Northern Territory, Australia might satisfy your needs.
Alternative Tour Name: South-West Endemics Birding Tour
Join Our Fixed Tour Starting Date
|Tour Dates||Tour Availability||From Price||Spaces Left|
|02/12/2021 - 09/12/2021||guaranteed||AUD 4,299||