Birding Tour in the Danube Delta, Romania
A 3-day Bird Watching Romania Tour is around the beautiful Danube River as it ends its journey through Europe in Romania.
Your stay includes two nights’ accommodation in a family-owned eco-lodge with home-cooked traditional meals using fresh fish and other local ingredients.
The holiday also includes two boat trips to go birding in the Danube Delta, a short one to see the sunset (around 1 hour on the boat) and a full day one (around 6 hours on the boat), offering you the opportunity to see an abundance of wildlife in a gentle and relaxed way.
This small-group birding tour is led by an English-speaking guide who knows the Danube Delta very well and can introduce you to some of its hidden charms.
The Danube is Europe’s second-longest river, rising in Germany and emptying into the Black Sea at the Romanian coast. The peaceful green landscapes of the Delta’s wetlands are a tonic for the mind, enabling you to wind down from your busy life and just enjoy being in nature.
Top Reasons to Visit
- The Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve was included in the List of World Cultural and Natural Heritage in 1990 (UNESCO World Heritage) when it was recognised as a wetland of international importance, especially as a wildfowl habitat.
- At 2,200 square miles, the Danube Delta is regarded as one of Europe’s largest wetlands, laced with branches off the main river, marshland, canals, and reeded islands. It has the most extensive area of compact reed beds in the world.
- The Danube Delta is the best preserved of Europe’s delta ecosystems. It is the perfect breeding ground for thousands of birds that migrate there from around the world. More than that, a bird-watching trip to this area can be a rewarding one year-round.
- The Biosphere Reserve is the world’s third-largest area for biodiversity, following only Australia’s Great Barrier Reef and Ecuador’s Galapagos Islands in the number of species (5,500 types of flora and fauna) it supports.
- Important species found while birding in the Danube Delta include Pygmy Cormorant, White Pelican, Dalmatian Pelican, White-tailed Eagle, Ferruginous Duck, Red-breasted Goose, Glossy Ibis, Marsh Harrier, Purple Heron, Spoonbill, Kingfisher, Squacco Heron, White Stork, Caspian Tern, Red-footed Falcon, and Roller.
- Our Birding Danube Delta tour also has a conservation focus, highlighting the Carasuhat area. Since 1993 this has been part of an ecological reconstruction project, returning former agricultural land in the Danube Delta to a natural habitat for breeding birds.
Want to experience birding in the Danube Delta’s forest and sand dune habitats as well as its wetlands? Why not consider our alternative Danube Delta Experience tour in Romania tour?
Alternative Tour Name: Birdwatching in the Danube Delta
Join Our Fixed Tour Starting Date
|Tour Dates||Tour Availability||From Price||Spaces Left|
|05/09/2022 - 07/09/2022||guaranteed||EUR 190|| |
|10/04/2023 - 12/04/2023||guaranteed||EUR 190|| |
|01/05/2023 - 03/05/2023||guaranteed||EUR 190|| |
|05/06/2023 - 07/06/2023||guaranteed||EUR 190|| |
|04/09/2023 - 06/09/2023||guaranteed||EUR 190|| |