Birdwatching in Kenya and Wildlife Tour
When the word safari is mentioned the general image formed in one's mind will probably be based on a scene from the great plains of East Africa. And indeed, Kenya is generally regarded as the home of the safari, where the concept was first pioneered in the mid to late 1800's. Things have changed since then, but a Wildlife Safari in Kenya still captures that classic ambiance of comfort in the wilderness, of vast open plains teeming with all manner of wild beast, and it's a must for anyone keen on birdwatching and wildlifeviewing.
The scale and diversity is incredible, and with this in mind we have developed a 17-day Bird Watching Kenya itinerary that focuses on both birds and wildlife, taking in some of the best that Kenya has to offer. Getting around in Kenya takes time, and can be quite tiring, so we've tried to keep travel time to a minimum. After a first night in Nairobi we experience the arid wonderland of Samburu, land of majestic Reticulated Giraffes and stylish Doum Palms and home to some unique birds and mammals. From there we visit the Ol Pejeta Conservancy in the shadow of Mount Kenya; explore three of the Rift Valley Lakes (Lakes Nakuru, Bogoria and Baringo) as well as Lake Victoria, the second largest freshwater lake on the planet.
From there we have the highlight of the experience in the famous Masai Mara, Kenya's prime wildlife reserve and part of the massive Serengeti-Masai Mara ecosystem. We have avoided the prime season to avoid peak-season pricing and higher tourist numbers, and while we aren't in the area during the migration, it will still amount to the experience of a lifetime. This 'easy birding and wildlife' itinerary aims to deliver a decent bird list and incredible mammal viewing combined with comfortable accommodation and a manageable pace. A safari entails a lot of car time, and we use stretched Land-Cruiser game viewers, specially kitted out for photography, with a maximum of five clients and one leader per vehicle to make for the most comfortable experience possible.
Please note: this tour though listed in ZAR (due to Blue Sky Wildlife website only), the tour will be charged in USD $5 975 per person sharing for a full group of 5 participants; USD$ 6 550 pps for 4 participants; USD $ 7 550 pps for 3 participants; USD $455 single supplement option
Top 6 Highlights:
- See the Samburu specials – Reticulated Giraffe, Gerenuk, Grevy’s Zebra, Beisa Oryx, Desert Warthog & Vulturine Guineafowl.
- *Marvel at the wildlife dotted across the plains of Ol Pejeta against the backdrop of Mount Kenya.
- *See the Rift Valley lakes of Nakuru, Baringo and Bogoria.
- *Experience forest birding in Kenya’s remnant patch of tropical forest at Kakamega, the eastern limit of many Central African species.
- *Visit Lake Victoria, Africa’s largest lake (the size of Ireland!).
- *Enjoy extended game drives across the Masai Mara, offering some of Africa’s most epic game viewing.
Tour in Brief:
- Group size: limited to a maximum of 5 participants per vehicle.
- Areas visited: Samburu, Ol Pejeta, Lakes Nakuru, Baringo and Bogoria, Kakamega, Lake Victoria and the Masai Mara.
- Expected weather conditions: generally warm to hot and humid, with afternoon thunderstorms occurring regularly.
- Tour tempo: medium to medium-plus; some long travelling days and some full days out on safari.
- Accommodation standards: good to high: private guest houses, lodges and mobile camps.
- Mammal viewing: Outstanding! Unbeatable for multitudes of plains game and predator action.
- Top mammals: Maasai Giraffe, Thomson’s and Grant’s Gazelle, Defassa Waterbuck, Topi, Coke’s Hartebeest, Plain’s Zebra, Bearded Gnu, Leopard, Lion, Cheetah, Elephant, Buffalo, Black Rhino, Kirk’s Dik-Dik, Olive Baboon, Golden Jackal.
- Birding in brief: Excellent, many of the East African specials to be seen.
- Top birds: Rüppell’s Griffon, Yellow-necked Spurfowl, Jackson’s Francolin, Black- faced Sandgrouse, African Orange-bellied Parrot, Bare-faced Go Away Bird, Slender-tailed Nightjar, Von der Decken’s Hornbill, Red-and-Yellow Barbet, Golden-winged Sunbird, Grey-crested Helmet-Shrike, Golden Pipit, Vulturine Guineafowl, Somali Bee-eater, Bar-tailed Trogon.
Alternative Tour Name: Birds and Wildlife of Kenya
Join Our Fixed Tour Starting Date
|Tour Dates||Tour Availability||Price||Spaces Left|
|15/04/2021 - 30/04/2021||available||ZAR 112,000|