Southwest Queensland Wildlife Tour to the Outback
This is a 6-day Outback Wildlife Tour in Southern Queensland which will take you way out west to wide-open spaces, wonderful sunsets, clear starry skies, red sands, red kangaroos, grey kangaroos, echidnas, shingleback lizards, sand monitors, emus, brolgas, flocks of wild budgerigars, Major Mitchell cockatoos (gorgeous birds, pink with red and yellow crests), colourful outback parrots, wood swallows, bee-eaters, apostlebirds, choughs and many other birds in the true outback ecosystems of Bowra Station and Currawinya National Park.
- the guides consider the true outback to start beyond all crop-growing properties, which means the first full day is spent reaching the edge of the outback - but stopping for birdwatching and other activities along the way
- this tour runs between 1 and 4 times a year, in spring and autumn only (summer is too hot, and reptiles are not very active in winter)
- there is an 8-day option for this tour which gives additional time to soak in the atmosphere of the real outback, visit additional places and see more bird species. Please complete the enquiry form to learn more about this option.
- if requested by the first to book this tour, we can alter the route to visit the Bilby Centre and Observatory in Charleville.
- Accommodation is comfortable but basic (no tv or swimming pool, except first and last nights in St George): the route maximises wildlife and wilderness and generally steers clear of usual tourist destinations, and there are no 4- or 5-star options out there, but travellers have told our guides they've seen a lot more birds, reptiles and kangaroos than they have at some of the outback's main tourist destinations.
Alternative Tour Name: Araucaria Outback Tour