Epic Australian Outback Birdwatching Australia tour
This 16-day Australian Birding Adventure is a moderately-paced trip available as a set departure (or on request) where you can expect to see around 220 species of bird, with the majority being endemics (180 +/-) and other unique Australian wildlife species.
During this birding adventure of Australia we’ll search for nine of Australia’s 15 Grasswren species: Striated, Short-tailed, Western, Thick-billed, Eyrean, Grey, Kalkadoon, Carpentarian and Opalton Grasswren. We explore the vast expanses of Mallee scrub in the Vic-SA border region, the scenic Flinders Ranges, travel the entire Birdsville track through the outback, visit the stark country around Boulia-Winton and the rocky ranges around Mt Isa.
"We want to thank you for a great trip. We had a good time, all arrangements worked well and best of all, the birds were very good!" -Ann & Bob.
This trip is a real Australian birding adventure (yet fully accommodated), taking us through the heart of the outback during the Australian winter season, generally, a great time to go birding. Taking a slowish pace in comparison with our standard Grasswren tours.
Besides the Grasswrens, we have a good chance of sought-after birds like Red-lored Whistler, Banded Whiteface, Chestnut, Cinnamon and Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush, Gibberbird, Yellow Chat, Inland Dotterel, Flock Bronzewing, Hall’s Babbler, Mallee & Rufous-crowned Emu-wren, Spinifex Pigeon, Painted Finch and much more, including the enigmatic Grey Falcon. During this time of year, the weather is generally quite pleasant. The rewards are some of Australia’s hardest to find, yet most sought-after outback species!
This is a slow-paced version of our flagship Nine Grasswren tour, another epic Australian birding tour adventure. From the northern outback town of Mount Isa we’ll follow the early spring south across vast expanses of outback scenery.
We travel the length of the Birdsville track, visit the stark country around Boulia-Winton, the scenic Flinders Ranges and finish in the Mallee scrub oftheVic-SA border region. Timed to travel through the heart of the outback during the early Australian spring season, a great time to go birding, we will have plenty of opportunity during these 16 days to see over 200 species!
Australian Birding Adventure Tour highlights include:
- Cross the Australian continent from south to north on little-travelled outback roads while observing a fantastic range of outback bird species
- Grasswrens evoke a sense of the Australian outback: their plumage embodies the colours of the rocks and soil, and they frequent some of the most isolated and at times desolate parts of the country
- Emerging from a dark crevice in a spinifex-clad slope of a rocky escarpment in remote Australia, Grasswrens give a burst of song from an exposed branch of a bush, they reveal a subtle yet striking beauty
- Marvel at huge flocks of Budgerigars wheeling through the outback sky chased by the enigmatic Grey Falcon while secretive Grasswrens run about the sand dunes and the stately Brolga Crane struts about in the outback
- Experience the real outback: quirky pubs, eccentric and charismatic locals, raw-edged yet super-friendly bush characters, stunning landscapes, endless skies, sunsets like you’ve never seen before…
Please note: this set-departure tour is also available as a private or custom tour on request. Please submit an enquiry with your preferred dates and group size.
Do you have a couple of days to spare and ideas for an additional birding experience? Check out the Custom Birding Australia Tours: Anywhere and Any Time offered by Bellbird Birding Tours. Create your own experience!
Alternative Tour Name: Comfortable Nine Grasswren Tour
Join Our Fixed Tour Starting Date
|Tour Dates||Tour Availability||From Price||Spaces Left|